Sunday 14 August 2016

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware: review

The Woman in Cabin 10
The best thing about this novel is the blurb; the person who wrote the plot summary is a skilful writer who could sell anything to anybody.

My expectations for this novel were so high and my disappointmet was so big that I don't even know what to say about it. I love Agatha Christie's novels and comparing The Woman in Cabin 10 to any of her works is a joke .

The way the book begins is slow and completely unrelated to the rest of the story . However , it clearly shows what kind of person Lo Blacklock is: a confused woman with a severe drinking problem.

Then the plot seems to get better when all the passengers embark on a luxury boat and we start getting to know them . The first night of the cruise Lo Blacklock thinks a mysterious woman has been killed on board and her body thown to the sea. The rest of the passengers find it hard to believe her and the fact that Lo is sleep-deprived and still high on pills and alcohol doesn't make her story plausible.

This murder happens too quickly and it's very difficult for the reader to start trying to figure out who did it because we have very little information about the characters . I wish the author had developed them more before a twist in the plot in which everything is hastily revealed . That's the last straw that broke the camel's back. I lost all interest in the book afterwards.

I didn't DNF it because I wanted to write a review. I read the last chapters and my disappointment grew even bigger. The loose ends, the undeveloped characters, the poor plot , the random incidents that have nothing to do with the story and the unappealing main character made me feel that this book was not my cup of tea at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing a comment, it means a lot to me.Leave a link to your blog for me to visit it as well.